Monday, September 18, 2006

Venice Basics

I arrived in Venice via ferry and was immediately excited at what stood before me. I would spend the next few days exploring the city and trying to relax in the midst of the typical chaos that is found in a popular European city. With narrow streets, endless throngs of people, and hot stale air, some would say that relaxing here is not an option. For me, relaxing has to do with where my mind is more than my body. For example, a roaring thunderstorm can literally shake the foundations of a house and at the same time bring a great sense of comfort. And can you imagine a more terrifying thought than drifting alone in the middle of a calm ocean? This is not the point. The point is that I was in Venice and I was relaxed.
When visiting Venice, one should not be in a rush. Not because there is so much to see, but because there is not much to see. A seemingly endless maze of canals and narrow alleyways linking houses, hotels, restaurants, and churches sprawl throughout this small island making up the whole of Venice. To the visitor, this sprawl appears to be a repeating pattern designed specifically by the locals to trap and confuse those of us who intrude on their sinking paradise.
Following a map is an excersize in futility so you must attempt to "feel your way". You can try to follow the Grand Canal on the bordering sidewalks but inevitably the sidewalk will run into a building and then you have to enter back into the maze with no hope of keeping the canal in sight. If you walk long enough, you will eventually find Piazza San Marco, which is the main tourist attraction in Venice. After five minutes it becomes apparent that the buildings are impressive in the plaza but the crowds and the prices in the cafes here are simply not worth the time.
After stumbling upon the plaza, I decided this was not for me so I attempted to head back to my room by retracing my steps. I soon realized that retracing my exact steps was a laughable thought so I once again made the most of the wandering journey home. The excitement of a crowded cafe and the smell of baked calzones provided an irresitible detour for lunch. I chose a spot at a crowded table where I enjoyed my fresh cut Pastrami sandwhich. After lunch I continued my journey through the Labrynth home.
I found the best thing to do was to walk slowly and look at everything as if it was something worth seeing. It is also important to stop for Italian Gelatto. For 7000 lira I had a double scoop of Chocolate and Strawberry. With Gelatto in hand, I would wander over bridges, through alleys, and at times cut directly through what appeared to be private courtyards and eventually I would find myself right back where I began. I would applaud myself for my keen sense of direction and ask myself why my Boy Scouts Leader never noticed such a rare specimen of navigational genius. Then I would curse my room key for not working in the door before realizing that I was trying to open the room next to mine. At least I got the building right.

No comments: